This is a favourite flavour combination in our house. It seems an unlikely pairing as rhubarb is a much earlier crop than raspberries. I often make this in the springtime with fresh rhubarb and frozen berries, and for those with productive fruits gardens it is an excellent way of using up fruit languishing in the freezer. A brilliant mix of complementary flavours.
Print the recipe here
• 4-5 sticks rhubarb
• 125g granulated or Demerara sugar
• 2 star anise
• 300-350g frozen raspberries
1. Slice the rhubarb and cook it in a covered pan with the sugar and star anise for 6-8 minutes, until just softened and starting to break down. The actual cooking time will depend on the age of the rhubarb. Taste and add more sugar if required, then add the frozen raspberries. Stir and cook just until the raspberries have defrosted.
2. Remove the star anise before serving hot or cold. Try this with ice cream, yogurt, over sponge cake with custard or, as pictured, as a different topping for a pavlova.
• Add a cinnamon stick to the star anise as seasoning if you wish.